Position; Work Technician 2 – Traffic Operations
Closing: February 28, 2023
This position is located at the Traffic Operations Centre, 101 Consumers Drive, Whitby, Ontario and currently operates on a hybrid working arrangement.
Works Technician 2 (Ops) – Traffic Eng & Ops
Reporting to the Supervisor or Project Engineer, the successful applicant will support the Division’s service provision by assisting with coordination of resources for capital and operating programs to facilitate the ongoing improvement and expansion of the Region’s transportation infrastructure.
The incumbent will:
- Generate detailed engineering designs for installation of traffic control devices and related infrastructure
- Perform site investigations for quality control, in response to technical questions and make recommendations for improvement
- Coordinate work with field staff, other divisions, area municipalities, utility companies, consultants and contractors in a diverse traffic engineering and operations environment
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of the Region’s centralized traffic signal control systems by analyzing and
developing signal timings, methods of control and traffic flow patterns
- Assist in the development of tenders and quotes
- Plan and implement data collection programs to oversee the collection, maintenance and analysis of traffic data
- Perform traffic engineering safety reviews by investigating and recommending improvements for existing operations at problematic or safety deficient intersections and roadway segments
- Prepare technical documents and correspondence in response to enquiries from the public, internal groups and outside agencies
The successful applicant will possess:
- A three-year post-secondary diploma in Civil Engineering Technology, specializing in Transportation or Traffic Engineering or related discipline
- Registration with or be eligible for registration as a Technologist with O.A.C.E.T.T.
- Two years of work related experience
Page 2 of 2 Works Department
Job ID: 17160 – Works Technician 2 – Traffic Operations
- Proficiency in software applications such as AutoCAD, MS Office and specialized traffic and GIS software
- Knowledge of traffic signal installation, capital road and road safety improvement programs, Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, Ontario Provincial Standards Specifications and Drawings, Ontario Traffic Manual, Ontario Highway Traffic Act, and Regional and Municipal By-laws and policies
- Sound engineering judgement and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organization, time management and interpersonal skills
- A valid Ontario Class ‘G’ Driver’s License
I.M.S.A Traffic Signal Certification would be an asset
CUPE 1764 Salary Grade 6
This position is with Salary Grade 6 and will be paid at the following hourly rates:
– Start: $40.09 – Six Month: $42.31 – Job: $44.54
Conditions of Employment
Proof of education, qualifications and any other job bona fide requirements will be required prior to start date.
In addition, all new hires must be fully vaccinated upon hire to meet the Region’s Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Policy. As required, exemptions will comply with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
External Application Process
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted. Please apply online at https://bit.ly/3JEFToK no later than midnight (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
The Region of Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Recruiter will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region’s Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca. Follow us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/regionofdurham Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/regionofdurham