Position: Truck Driver/Heavy Equipment Operator
Employer: St. Lawrence Parks Commission
Closing Date: October 17, 2022
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
- Operate trucks and heavy equipment in support of SLPC operations and maintenance capital construction projects.
- Haul equipment and assets to various sites.
- Assist the Roads & Grounds Department with road, signage, and drainage repair.
- Support forestry services with heavy equipment.
- Monitor waste containers and contact environmental services for removal.
- Organize and perform work activities by planning for the use of proper equipment, material, and labour.
- Ensure compliant safety equipment, traffic control planning and devices are being utilized.
- Provide material cost and time-to-completion estimates for work activities.
- Load garbage, construction waste and recyclables, and transport them to SLPC landfill.
- Dig or excavate in a wide range of locations and conditions, including areas where a delicate touch and extreme care are required so as not to damage underground utilities or structures or endanger workers.
- Load, unload, and move materials using a front-end loader equipped with pallet forks.
- Inspect and repair roads, right of ways, and parking areas for maintenance requirements such as guard rails, gates, road signs, surface cracks, potholes, pavement markings, curbs, grass length, garbage, and debris removal, dead tree and stump removal, and snow fences, undertaking action, as required.
- Carry out mandatory pre-trip inspections of vehicles and floats, ensuring all safety and legislated requirements are met and loads are secure.
- Operate salters, snow blower (80 hp), and dump trucks equipped with plow for snow removal of roadways and parking lots.
- Train new staff in the safe operation of roads and grounds maintenance equipment.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Embody the SLPC’s equity, diversity and inclusion principles while interacting with staff and guests.
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
- Valid Ontario Class A driver’s licence with a Z (air brake) endorsement.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in the operation of trucks and heavy equipment, including dump trucks equipped with or without a float, an industrial backhoe/loader, a mini excavator, and tractors.
- Thorough knowledge of the laws governing the operation of commercial vehicles to ensure the safe transportation of equipment and materials.
- Thorough knowledge of the laws and procedures required for the operation of industrial equipment on construction sites to ensure the safety of workers and protect equipment from damage during activities such as digging or excavating, loading, unloading, and moving materials/equipment, etc.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act as it applies to the work being performed.
OTHER ESSENTIAL SKILLS:
- The ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- The ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Teamwork skills to work in a team environment, coordinate work activities and deliver services within established timeframes.
- Communication skills to relate information to staff and customers.
- Personal commitment to excellent customer service.
- The ability to perform physical labour.
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
WHY WORK FOR THE ST. LAWRENCE PARKS COMMISSION?
- Belong to one of the largest employers in Ontario, the Ontario Public Service, and open the door to a diverse range of career opportunities throughout the province
- Supportive team environment
- Staff discounts
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Excellent pension and benefit plans