Position: Transportation Technologist (click full posting)
Employer: City of Oshawa
Closing Date: October 12, 2022
Reporting to the Transportation Engineer within Professional Services, the Transportation Technologist will bring value to the Branch by providing subject matter expertise, supporting the undertaking and management of long-range, master planning, multi-modal transportation planning, and environmental assessment, transportation demand management (TDM), active transportation (AT) and other related studies or projects to facilitate the expansion and improvement of the City’s transportation system while promoting a cultural shift towards multi-modal transportation.
This position will provide support for a variety of professional engineering assignments related to the implementation of long-range transportation studies and master plans. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and coupled with adopting corporate values of authenticity, courage and trust, the position will also require the incumbent to liaise with various internal and external stakeholders to engineer solutions while building and enhancing partnerships that address transportation planning and engineering issues to meet the community’s needs and organizational goals.
- Contributing to the preparation of the Transportation Master Plan (TMP) recommendation
- Preparing and recommending Transportation Demand Management (TDM) policies, strategies and programs
- Executing technical reviews of services and provide commentary to ensure compliance with corporate, provincial and industry standards
- Reviewing development applications to facilitate and incorporate active transportation demand management supportive measures and ensuring land use changes are consistent and conducive to achieve TDM and transit oriented development objectives
- Contributing to review of transportation studies submitted with development applications
- Executing and supporting the implementation of active transportation projects, programs, policies and initiatives
- Supporting the engagement and working collaboratively with external partners to improve mobility, manage congestion and shift travel behaviour
- Preparing and supporting the delivery of educational, promotional, awareness and advocacy programs to internal/external partners
- Supporting, addressing, and investigating complaints and inquiries
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills generally associated with the completion of a three (3) year Community College Diploma in Engineering (Civil, Transportation) or Planning (Urban Planning) or related field of study and a minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience in a municipal setting.
- Eligibility for registration with OACETT is preferred
- Advanced skills and experience using PC equipment and related software applications (i.e. MS Office Suite) and related engineering software applications
- Strong project management skills
- Experience in managing/completing transportation related studies (i.e. Transportation Master Plan).
- Technical proficiency in travel demand forecasting and modeling
- Familiarity with transportation engineering best practices and innovative technologies
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain good working relationships
- Effective leadership qualities, maturity, sound judgement, tact and discretion
- Excellent reasoning and analytical skills
- Ability to provide own transportation between work sites as required