Position: Transportation Planning Coordinator
Employer: Town of Ajax
Closing date: February 14, 2023
Reporting to the Manager of Transportation Planning, the Transportation Planning Coordinator
is responsible for providing professional expertise in the transportation review of
complex/controversial/politically sensitive subdivision/zoning/site plan applications and
transportation related capital projects. This position is also responsible for the planning,
assessment, design, implementation and project management of capital projects related to
transportation facilities/infrastructure. The position coordinates and participates in the
evaluation, recommendation, and implementation of municipal traffic controls to facilitate the
safe and efficient vehicular and pedestrian movement.
• Oversees the review and commentary on development applications (official plan
amendments, plans of subdivision, zoning by-law amendments, and site plans) with
respect to traffic impacts, traffic circulation, safety, parking, access management,
transportation demand management and active transportation.
• Prepares and provides detailed transportation engineering comments on traffic
management implementation plans and temporary traffic control plans.
• Plans, prioritizes, and prepares cost estimates for transportation infrastructure projects
to meet infrastructure needs within the Town.
• Prepares and issues Terms of Reference and Requests for Proposals for
design/construction in accordance with the Transportation Planning section and the
Town’s purchasing policy requirements.
• Administers and manages the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment Process for
transportation planning projects.
• Prepares in-house detailed designs or reviews detailed designs prepared by the
consultants to check the conformance with the Town/Region/Provincial design
standards/guidelines and ensures timely completion of the project as scheduled.
• Assists with administering and managing traffic calming initiatives.
• Prepares in-house detail designs, specifications, and technical construction/tender
drawings for the Town’s traffic calming projects.
• Prepares in-house contract documents for tender contract awards.
• Oversees the implementation of the Town’s Integrated Transportation Master Plan
• Responds to resident and Council inquiries related to school safety, speeding, traffic
control and parking restriction.
• Relevant University or College Program in Engineering or Planning with a minimum of 5
years of progressive transportation experience or a combination of education and
experience deemed equivalent.
• Holding, in good standing, applicable professional designations (P.Eng., RPP, C.E.T.).
• Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and listening).
• Proven ability to prepare clear written reports and strong presentations to diverse
audiences include the public and Council.
• Able to establish and maintain open lines of communications with various stakeholders
(Town staff, Council, public, outside agencies and consultants).
• Excellent administrative skills with ability to plan, organize and coordinate various
aspects of projects/studies.
• Proven ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Valid Ontario Class ‘G’ driver’s license.
• Able to provide a criminal record check that is satisfactory to the Town, upon being
Nice to Have
• AutoCAD, Synchro, Sim Traffic, ARCADY, GIS, AMANDA experience is considered an
• Experience in the broader public sector is considered an asset