Position: Traffic Roadway Safety Database Technologist (Click for full posting)
Employer: City of Hamilton
Closing Date: January 25, 2023
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reporting to the Project Manager of Traffic Services; utilize the Traffic Engineering
Software (TES, collision database program), , Geographical Information System (GIS), ArcGIS and other database and web-mapping tools to create, maintain and update databases of motor vehicle collision reports and traffic count program. Assist others in identifying relationships and trends in traffic and collision data; use techniques to display results of analyses; review data for accuracy, quality, and completeness; and utilize multiple strategies to integrate safety data and analysis into transportation decision-making processes. Prepare collision summaries, statistical analysis reports, custom interactive mapping and other presentation devices.
- Audit and input motor vehicle collision (MVC) reports to the Traffic Engineering Software (TES) database and analysis program by reading, interpreting and clarifying information provided on reports, checking for coherency and completeness of information, determining and verifying point of impact.
- Import MVC reports and traffic studies into the Traffic Engineering Software (TES) database
- Utilize ArcGIS and other data management tools to update and maintain TES infrastructure, traffic, and collision data.
- Produce reports and research notes that improve quantitative knowledge of the causes and results of motor vehicle collisions using descriptive data techniques to support the city’s safety programs and other project.
- Prepare and conduct statistical and descriptive collision analysis to support the city’s safety programs and other projects.
- Develop, utilize, maintain and/or oversee traffic data collection for Traffic Count Program
- Manipulates, retrieves and manages data using TES, Microsoft Excel, Access, ArcGIS and other mapping (GIS) software.
- Implement and administer open data portals related to collision and traffic count data.
- Investigate and recommend technological improvements to enhance programs.
- Respond to various requests for collision and traffic volume information.
- Reviews and assists in the processing of damage claims to city property.
- Assist in the preparation of the Annual Collision Report by producing digital charts, graphs, maps and other visual aids.
- Archive MVC reports by image scanning and filing hardcopies for future reference.
- Using information stored in GIS and asset management databases to assist in the preparation of web-based mapping, public dashboards, HEAT maps, reports and charts.
- Maintain asset information within the GIS.
- Perform analysis of geospatial data.
- Participate in GIS working groups as required.
- Perform quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) checks of collision and traffic count data.
- Assist and liase with consultants, internal staff, other agencies and Hamilton Police Services.
- Purge hardcopy MVC reports on an annual basis by shredding.
- Perform routine office duties such as filing hardcopy documents, image scanning, operating a computer, photocopying, shredding and communicating by phone and email.
- Perform other duties as assigned which are related to the major responsibilities of the position.
1. Must have a demonstrated knowledge and experience in the duties described above, normally acquired through a combination of relevant work-related experience and a community college diploma as a Graduate of post- secondary institute in Civil or Transportation Engineering Technology.
2. Eligibility for membership in Ontario Association of Certified Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) or Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
3. Road Safety Professional designation is an asset. (R.S.P.).
4. Demonstrated experience in undertaking road safety audits.
5. Demonstrated experience with the traffic and Collision Data Management, Analysis Software and Safety module of Traffic Engineering Software (TES) or another safety management tool.
6. Experience and excellent working knowledge of all MS Office software applications including MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Powerpoint, MS Access and MS Excel.
7. Experience in coding languages is an asset.
8. Experience and excellent working knowledge of ArcGIS, ESRI Suite of software, web-based platforms and other GIS software packages.
9. Ability to create computerized reports for analytical mapping, tracking and reporting purposes.
10. Demonstrated report writing skills.
11. Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” driver’s license and must provide own vehicle for work purposes.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES A VALID CLASS “G” DRIVER’S LICENCE AND PROOF THEREOF IS REQUIRED AFTER HIRE.
This Competition may include an interview and/assessment as part of the selection process.
For internal applicants, Job Descriptions are available on My HR Info – You may access them by logging onto My HR Info – Main Menu – Self Service – Job Opportunities – City Job Descriptions . Job descriptions are available in PDF format and are organized by department and alphabetically by title.
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification, and for internal applicants, subject to discipline up to and including termination.