Employer: City of Burlington
Closing Date: November 13, 2022
Reporting to the Manager of Transportation Planning & Parking, the Supervisor of Transportation Planning is an integral part of Transportation Services, providing leadership and commitment to the advancement of sustainable mobility planning within the City of Burlington. This position provides daily supervision and oversight to the transportation planning team and is responsible for reviewing and making recommendations on complex planning initiatives through a lens of multi-modal mobility.
The City of Burlington expects all employees to work in an environmentally friendly way in all tasks that they do; to work in a manner that is safe for themselves and others and to be aware of their health & safety obligations; to continually look for opportunities to improve their job that will result in excellence in municipal government, and; to recognize the uniqueness of the individuals they come into contact with, and to treat them with dignity and respect.
• Responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the team including assigning work, motivating, training and staff development, provides performance feedback and
We thank all applicants and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
An equal opportunity employer.
participates in performance management, if required. Interprets and implements City policies, procedures, and applicable collective agreements.
• Oversees the delivery of transportation planning services, including technical review of development related applications (including, but not limited to official plan amendments, zoning by-law amendments, site plan approvals and infrastructure design/development) and guides staff through complex applications with a focus on problem solving and customer service. Participates in consultation with applicants, elected officials and the public. Validates results of staff analyses and ensures that recommendations are incorporated into final approvals.
• Identify, develop, and implement policy and improvement strategies related to the delivery of services undertaken by the transportation planning technologists to meet mandated goals and objectives of the Department and improve effectiveness and efficiency.
• Administers operating budget for Transportation Planning and participates in capital budget planning.
• Approves and finalizes terms of reference, requests for proposals and contract specifications related to the procurement of consulting services. Supervises the activities of consultants carrying out work related to transportation planning studies.
• Provides planning advice and responds to inquiries from the public, development industry, various levels of government, senior staff, applicants, and elected officials with respect to transportation planning issues. Liaises with government agencies, public/private sector organizations, and stakeholders to exchange information and obtain industry knowledge.
• Appears before the Ontario Land Tribunal, when required, to give expert evidence on the City’s behalf as it relates to transportation planning matters.
• Participates and leads Department and Corporate teams in the review of issues and establishment of positions and strategies on matters of corporate interest. Represents the Department and/or City on external project teams and committees.
College diploma or university degree in transportation planning or a relevant discipline specifically oriented to transportation planning, land use planning or a combination of education and relevant work experience. Eligible for designation as a Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) with OACETT or membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP), or equivalent. A minimum of 5 years relevant professional transportation planning experience.
This position may require occasional travel between sites and/or City facilities.