Employer: City of Richmond Hill
Closing Date: October 28, 2022
The Senior Transportation Engineer is primarily responsible for the review of complex transportation, traffic, parking and noise studies and transportation designs submitted in support of development applications submitted to the City. This position will provide guidance and leadership to other Transportation and Traffic team members that undertake development application reviews. The Senior Transportation Engineer will also undertake complex transportation secondary plans, official plan amendments, parking studies and environmental assessments to protect the City’s mobility infrastructure and policy interests. This position will serve as an expert witness at OLT hearings.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Review complex transportation, parking and noise studies and transportation designs submitted in support of development, applications to ensure adherence to standards and guidelines with recommendations for policy and infrastructure requirements
- Give evidence as a transportation planning and traffic engineering expert witness at the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT), formally known as OMB, LPAT to defend the City’s position on contentious development applications.
- Assist to provide sound technical advice and guidance to transportation and traffic team members that review development applications relating to transportation, traffic, parking and noise disciplines.
- Liaise and coordinate with staff of various city divisions as well as external organizations and agencies on projects and issues related to transportation, traffic, parking and noise for development applications.
- Develop and implement guidelines and procedures related to improvements in the development application review process for transportation-related aspects.
- Provide and review comments and requirements on pre-submission applications through meetings of the Development Application Review Committee and Committee of Adjustment.
- Project Management of Key Development Area Transportation and Parking Studies for Secondary Plans, Official Plan Amendments and Environmental Assessments.
- Liaise with developers, consultants, Council, other departments, external agencies, and the public with respect to transportation-related issues as they pertain to development applications and transportation investigations.
- Prepare staff reports and undertake presentations at Council and/or public meetings.
Education and Experience
- Degree in Civil Engineering, Transportation Planning/Design or related discipline
- P. Eng. required
- Minimum of 9 years experience required
- Strong understanding of the local development application process.
- Demonstrated leadership and coaching skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and traffic engineering software.
- Possess strong knowledge of Highway Capacity Manual, Synchro, TAC, OPSD, Municipal Act, Highway Traffic Act, Ontario Traffic Manual, geometric design guidelines, PHM-125 and Municipal and Provisional Standards.
- Experience as an expert witness at Local Planning Appeal Tribunal mediations or hearings
- understanding of the Class Environmental Assessment process for municipal transportation facilities
- Experience in procurement processes such as the preparation of an RFP is an assess
- Negotiation skills
- Formal report writing skills
- Must possess a valid Ontario Class ‘G’ Driver’s License and have access to a vehicle for use on corporate business (mileage compensated) and will be required to provide proof of vehicle insurance upon hire
- Builds people and culture
- Cultivates open communication
- Demonstrates personal leadership
- Navigates and leads through complexity and change
- Shapes the future