8:50 am - 5:00 pm
Center for Health and Safety Innovation
Private Sessions are available with a minimum of 15 participants**
This training is open to all employees of municipalities irrespective of their current role or job description. Although developed specifically for those who will be undertaking the review and processing of images, other municipal staff may find the session helpful to better understand this critical aspect of an automated speed enforcement program.
The goal of the session is to provide an accessible, comprehensive, and consistent education program to help ensure that municipal employees identified to undertake this work and be designated under the Highway Traffic Act as Provincial Offences Officers understand the complexity and significance of this work, including the designation, and that they are enabled to discharge their responsibilities in a professional and competent manner. By providing training on both the existing charging process and administrative penalties, candidates will be well positioned to adapt to shifting timelines and preferences in the review of images as municipalities consider and shift to the newer administrative penalty process.
Participants will be required to write a final test and achieve a passing grade of 70%. A certificate of completion will be issued by the OTC with an expiry date of 24 months from the date of successful course completion. This proof of training forms part of the designation package that the municipality must send to the Ministry of Transportation for the designation of Provincial Offences Officers for Automated Enforcement Programs.
This full-day session will cover all relevant topics for a Provincial Offences Officer reviewing images captured by automated speed enforcement systems and issuing either a charge under the Provincial Offences Act or a penalty order under the provincial Administrative Penalty regime. Faculty will include experts in automated enforcement and the applicable laws.
- The course will cover topics including:
- Legislative and regulatory provisions governing automated speed enforcement
- The Provincial Offences Act
- The Administrative Penalty regime
- Data required to be shown or superimposed on images
- Components needed to establish that an offence or contravention has been committed, including compliance with the requirements for automated speed enforcement systems
- The identification of the plate holder and related Ministry of Transportation agreements and requirements
- The completion of certified statements
- The certification of images
- Service of the offence notice or penalty order
- Out of province plate holders
- Testifying in court, as necessary, if a charge has been laid
- Ministry of Transportation Guidelines related to the use of automated speed enforcement and administrative penalties
- Best practices and common goals with an emphasis on program sustainability and transparency
8:50 am Welcome & Introductions
9:00-10:30 Part 1 POA Image Review and Charging Process
10:45- 12:00 Part I POA Image Review and Charging Process
12:00 – 12:45 Break
12:45- 2:45 Part III POA Charging Process
2:45 – 3:00 Break
3:00- 4:15 Administrative Penalties
4:15 – 4:45 Exam
4:45 – 5:00 Wrap Up
CHSI provides coffee breaks and lunch at participant’s expense.
Member Price $499 plus HST
Non-Member Price $599 plus HST
*Public Sessions subject to a minimum class size of 15 persons
**Venue to be provided by the municipality – Minimum class size of 15 persons (minimum fee commitment) – Outside of GTHA minimum class size of 20 persons (minimum fee commitment) with location to be within 25 km of an international airport.
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY –
Should a registrant decide to cancel attendance at an in-person or virtual event, training or symposium based on health concerns, unexpected travel issue or emergency, OTC will provide a credit to the registrant.
Rescheduling to another event is permissible and the registrant will be charged an administrative fee of $75.00. If the request is made five days in advance, no cost will be applied.
If a registrant wants to cancel attendance at an event (in-person or virtual) and requests a refund, the registration fee less 50% will be refunded.
Please note that from time-to-time additional consideration may be given based upon circumstance and situational need. However, the above policy will be strictly enforced as the policy governing our events, trainings and symposia in all circumstances.